The public consultation ran from 26 February to 22 April 2020 and was aimed at those working within the police, those who have previously done so, their families and any groups with an interest in supporting the police in England and Wales.
This report summarises the feedback received and the Government proposals to implement the Covenant. These include:
- enshrining a Police Covenant in law, creating a statutory duty to do more to support the police
- placing a requirement on the Home Secretary to report annually to Parliament on progress on the Covenant
- ensuring the Covenant applies to all those working within or retired from policing roles, whether paid or as a volunteer
- putting the initial focus of the Covenant on physical protection, health and wellbeing, and support for families
- implementing a new governance structure to drive forward activity on wellbeing and protection to fulfil the Covenant
Click below to download the full response